Sunday, March 4, 2012

Apple Pie Baked in Apples

I made these fun little apple pies with the help of my grandsons. It turned out to be fun and very delicious too!

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
5-6 apples (depending on how many you need)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. brown sugar
Pie crust (home made or store bought)

I cut off the tops of 6 apples (that's how many people I was feeding.) I cut out the core the best I could. Then I used a melon baller to scoop out the rest of the apple, being careful not to puncture through the peel.

Take the scooped out apple and cut any big pieces into small chunks and add the cinnamon and sugars to it. Spoon into the hollowed out apples. If you do not have enough apple chunks for filling, cut up another apple to make enough. I had plenty to fill up what I hollowed out from my 6 apples.


I then made my own pie crust using a recipe for one single crust. I cut the lattice strips using this fun cutter that my daughter-in-law had. (I was cooking in her kitchen) I think it might be a cheese cutter but it made a great ruffle look to the edges.


Here is one very excited little boy helping his grandma make these little pies. He enjoyed helping me with every step of the process, especially cutting the lattice pieces.

We then wove the pie crust strips over the apples and placed in a pan. Fill the pan with water, just enough to cover the bottom. Then place foil over the top. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes then remove foil and cook for another 20 min. or until the crust is golden brown.


Can be served warm or cold, whatever you prefer. I thought it would have been delicious to put a scoop of ice cream on top of the hot pies but atlas we had none. When I voiced that, my grandson, Curtis ran and got a can of whip cream which was a perfect addition to our little pies.

All four grandsons and my own son thought these were so delicious!! It was also a fun dessert and especially fun to make together. And forks did not work as well as using our fingers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment